Morocco gets Africa’s first truly high-speed train (Sorry Gautrain, you’re slow)
177 days ago
Africa’s fastest train has started operating in Morocco, halving the time it takes to travel between Casablanca and Tangier.
It took seven years and $2.4 billion – funded by the governments of Morocco, France, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and the UAE - to build the high-speed railway line.
The train has been tested at 357 kilometres per hour, making it the Continent’s only truly high-speed train.
It is twice as fast as Gautrain.
The high-speed rail has drawn a lot of criticism.
Morocco is not a rich country; vast regions and some cities are without even a basic train service.
Listen to the interview in the audio below.
Get the 10 most-read articles of the week from Bruce Whitfield’s The Money Show, emailed to you every Friday morning:
Recently heard on air
- Clean Bandit - Mama (feat.... Download
- Aaliyah - Rock the Boat Download
- Usher - Burn (Confessions... Download
- Halsey - Bad At Love Download
- Julia Michaels - Heaven Download
- Seal - Love's Divine Download
- Emeli Sandé - Next to Me Download
- Michael Jackson - Remember the... Download
- Jason Derulo - Stupid Love Download
- The Pussycat Dolls - Stickwitu Download