Morocco gets Africa’s first truly high-speed train (Sorry Gautrain, you’re slow)
84 days ago
Africa’s fastest train has started operating in Morocco, halving the time it takes to travel between Casablanca and Tangier.
It took seven years and $2.4 billion – funded by the governments of Morocco, France, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and the UAE - to build the high-speed railway line.
The train has been tested at 357 kilometres per hour, making it the Continent’s only truly high-speed train.
It is twice as fast as Gautrain.
The high-speed rail has drawn a lot of criticism.
Morocco is not a rich country; vast regions and some cities are without even a basic train service.
Listen to the interview in the audio below.
Get the 10 most-read articles of the week from Bruce Whitfield’s The Money Show, emailed to you every Friday morning:
Recently heard on air
- Grace - You Don't Own Me (feat.... Download
- Ellie Goulding, Diplo & Swae... Download
- Gangs of Ballet - House and... Download
- Fergie - Big Girls Don't Cry... Download
- ZAYN - Let Me Download
- Sam Smith & Normani - Dancing... Download
- Robin S. - Show Me Love Download
- Rianne - Timber (Karaoke... Download
- Ariana Grande - thank u, next Download
- Kelly Rowland featuring Nelly -... Download