[EXPOSED] Tips made with cards often don't end up in waiters' pockets
80 days ago
You may want to consider tipping your waiter in cash.
Last week consumer journalist Wendy Knowler set Twitter on fire with a plea to restaurant goers to avoid using cards to tip waiters.
Abuses in blatant defiance of the law (deductions for breakages, deductions for card fees, no basic pay, etc.) are rife in the restaurant industry and the Department of Labour doesn’t seem to be acting.
Please tip your waiter/waitress, in cash, if you can. If you add the tip to your card payment, they may have to share it with colleagues. And/or the restaurant may deduct bank fees of about 5%, often on the total amount and not just tip portion. All illegal but common practices.Wendy Knowler, consumer journalist
Also, by Knowler:
Listen to the interview in the audio below.
Enjoy The Money Show, but miss it sometimes?
Get the best bits emailed to you daily, right after it ends:
Recently heard on air
- George Ezra - Shotgun Download
- David Guetta & Kelly Rowland -... Download
- AKA FEAT. BURNA BOY / KHULI... Download
- RIHANNA FT CALVIN HARRIS - WE... Download
- Clean Bandit - Solo (feat. Demi... Download
- Coldplay - Adventure of a... Download
- Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello -... Download
- Taylor Swift - You Need To Calm... Download
- Kygo & Whitney Houston - Higher... Download
- Chris Brown - No Guidance (feat... Download